Mac email servers
If you don't need a mail server on your machine, but just access to a mail server to send mail through try Fastmail.fm (They do not, of course, allow spam.)
Newsgroups to discuss Mac mail server software:
See E-mail Servers in April 2004 MacWorld.
Internet (POP3 or IMAP4, SMTP):
Mac OS X info:
- AppleShare IP by Apple has file, print, web, and mail services. POP, IMAP, and mailing lists.
- CommuniGate Pro by Stalker Software Inc for Mac OS X Server or Client. POP3/IMAP4/SMTP
- DMail by NetWin for Mac OS X has SMTP, POP3, IMAP, LDAP Auth, Webmail, and list server.
- Eudora Internet Mail Server (EIMS) by Qualcomm
- jServe by EveryDay Objects, Inc., is a Java server (e-mail, web, and ftp).
- Kerio Mail Server offers POP, IMAP, antivirus, antispam, webmail, directory services, and optional groupware like features.
- MachTen by Tenon Intersystems turns your Mac into a unix workstation, and can be used as a server of various protocols, including POP.
- NetTen NetTen by Tenon Intersystems is an industrial-strength mail server, based
on Post.Office from Software.com. It includes SMTP, POP3, IMAP 4 and spam
- Post.office from Tenon "is a scalable SMTP/POP3/IMAP messaging server designed to meet the needs of small and mid-sized ISPs. Post.Office can support 10 users or ten thousand users on a single platform with appropriately configured hardware." Also offers list server features, and can work with their webmail application.
- QPopper free from Qualcomm.
- QuickMail Pro Server for Mac OS and QuickMail Office by Outspring
- Stalker Internet Mail Server (SIMS) by Stalker Software Inc.
- Virtuoso Universal Server from OpenLink Software "is a cross platform server that implements multiple server side protocols as part of a single product offering. You get one server product that offers WebDAV/HTTP, Application, and Database server functionality alongside Native XML Storage, Universal Data Access Middleware, and a Web Services Platform." Includes mail server and news component.
- WebCrossing is a "community" package, meaning it provides a web site and communication packages for virtual communities. Web, Webmail, POP3/IMAP/SMTP, web-based and NNTP forums, and can run mailing lists.
- WebStar ServerSuite by 4D includes web/ftp/mail. It's mail portion does POP/IMAP/SMTP/LDAP/WebMail
LAN and LAN/Internet gateways:
- MailProxy by RockFord Systems is a POP mail gateway.
- MailRetriever is a POP mail gateway.
- Mailtron Gateway is a POP mail gateway. A common use is to allow the hosting of your own mail for a domain without having a full-time internet connection or paying fees for additional mailboxes to your ISP. Works in conjunction with an SMTP server.
Utilities, specialized (non-Internet) gateways, and specialized servers:
- SnapMail by Glassbead Software "is a complete chat, messaging and communication application for your Mac office. Send messages, files, and voice mail instantly. SnapMail keeps all of your messages and documents safely in-house. It doesn't require a mail server, Internet connection, or any administration. Combining an intuitive user interface with trouble-free installation and maintenance, SnapMail offers a dynamic and friendly messaging system for Macintosh networks. Features include - voice messages, attachments (files, folders, and the clipboard), reminders (tickler mail), spell checker, return receipts, expiring mail, bulletin board system, real-time chat, customizable mail templates and groups, folders, delivery log, multiple users on a mac and much more..."
- InterSnap, also by Glassbead, "connects SnapMail to the Internet -- allowing all SnapMail users to send and receive internet mail. A powerful and flexible internet gateway, InterSnap supports the SMTP, POP, and UUCP protocols, and both dialup and permanent connections."
- SnapTalk, also by Glassbead, "is [their] shareware chat program for Macintosh networks. Instantly talk with anyone in your office--particularly useful if they are on the phone. You can even chat with many people at the same time. A SnapTalk pop-up window notifies you of incoming talk requests and if you are busy you can snap them off an auto-reply with a single button-click and get right back to work!"
- BlitzMail by Dartmouth
- CommuniGate by Stalker Software, Inc., is a fully integrated Email telephony messaging system which
includes Fax, Internet Email (SMTP,POP3, IMAP, UUCP), LAN Email, Paging, Mail List Server and more.
- First Class from SoftArc. See also e-mail capabilities
- QuickMail LAN by CE Software (no longer sold/supported).
- AddMail by Alan Staniforth is available in this subdirectory. List of files in directory. AddMail allows POP3 clients to retrieve mail from SMTP servers. Handy for accounts on machines that only provide an SMTP server.
- Avalonia Mail Router is an extension to mail servers such as Apples Internet Mail Server (AIMS), Eudora Internet Mail Server (EIMS) or Stalker Internet Mail Server (SIMS), providing extra functionality to handle many domains on one single machine. Apart from assigning mailboxes to each user on the different domains, MailRouter can also redirect mail based on account or domain names, handle subdomains, divide users on a big domain to a set of servers and handle unregistered addresses.
- ClickMail Central Directory by One Click Systems. Integrates with AppleShare IP (but can be used in conjunction with any e-mail server). Local/remote entry editing.
- Mondo Mail & Mondo Mail Pro provide a simple scripting interface (via Apple events) for sending SMTP Email messages. The Send Mail interface was specifically designed around the nees of CGI authors, and FileMaker Pro and Tango users, but should be accessible for a wide variety of needs.
- No Mail "is a free Macintosh web server add-on which provides the bare-minimum SMTP requirement for internet hosts by implementing the "521 host does not accept mail" response (RFC 1846). It is intended for servers which are not running any SMTP services."
- NotifyMail by Scott Gruby. NotifyMail is an application that works with various servers to notify e-mail applications that mail has arrived at that user's account. Their e-mail program can then retrieve e-mail messages as they arrive, rather than having to poll the server every n minutes to see if new mail has arrived.
- Passenger by MacinMind will import a tab-delimited database of user information and generate usernames (checking for unintentional duplicates for different people) and random passwords, as well as set account parameters. "Exports for AppleShare IP 6.3 XML, Macintosh Manager, Eudora Internet Mail Server, WebSTAR FTP, WebSTAR Web, and user-defined customized export."
POP3 Gateway - E-mail middleware for remotely hosted websites by J.A. Korsmeyer, Inc. POP3 to SMTP gateway and XMLdb extractor - POP3 Gateway is the leading platform independent solution for automatically replicating e-mail, e-commerce data and webform submissions from remotely hosted websites into servers on your local LAN over any type of Internet connection including dial-up.
- SMTPMailIt by Hi-Resolution Software, is an applescriptable SMTP mailer.
- The Mac Orchard also lists Mac e-mail servers, as well as all sorts of Mac Internet software.
Copyright © eMailman, LLC 1998-2009. Emailman ® is a registered mark of eMailman, LLC. The eMailman character, NewsReaders.com character, "NewsReaders.com", "Emailman always delivers", "electronic superhero", "eMailOrder", the backwards "@" sign, "@ backwards", "turning your e-mail around" and "Read. Discuss. View. Think." are trademarks of eMailman, LLC. All other marks belong to their respective owners.